Since most of us used the Superbowl as an excuse to overindulge yesterday (including me), I decided to provide a recipe for one of my favorite healthy salads. This is a salad packed with flavor perfect for those days when you need a light meal option! I make this salad for my teenagers at least 4 times a week and serve it with dinner, but you could make a meal out of it if you prefer. This salad is packed with Protein, vitamin E and Amino Acids. I pair it with a basic balsamic dressing and use it sparingly. What makes this recipe so simple is that I use canned beans and jarred red peppers. These are things I always have on hand in my pantry. Feel free to experiment and add some of your favorite toppings!
Healthy Salad Recipe
HEALTHY SALAD INGREDIENTS:
• 3 cups mixed greens, washed and chopped
• 1 roasted red bell pepper
• ½ cup of cucumber, peeled and seeded
• 1 inch piece of carrot, use peeler to create carrot peels
• ¼ cup of white beans (Great Northern or Cannellini)
• 2 tablespoons unsalted sunflower seeds
BALSAMIC DRESSING INGREDIENTS:
• 1 tablespoon of Balsamic vinegar
• 1 tablespoon of Extra-virgin olive oil
• Pinch of Italian Seasoning Spice
• 1 small garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
• Kosher salt & fresh ground pepper (to taste)
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SALAD:
1. In a medium bowl add mixed greens, cucumber and carrot.
2. Add dressing and toss.
3. Place salad on a serving plate, garnish with red pepper, beans and sunflower seeds.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR DRESSING:
1. In a small bowl, add balsamic vinegar, Italian seasoning, salt, freshly ground pepper and garlic.
2. Slowly whisk in olive oil until combined.